10.19.2009

a walk down memory lane...moved away 14 years ago and haven't been back.

I remember when this was being built and how TALL it seemed to me once.
This is my elementary school that has since closed. I actually think all the schools in Bear Creek have closed. We used to ride our bikes down the steps if we wanted to prove we were big stuff.
A drove by shot of our house.
The Alley that seemed so long to me. The building to the right? An apartment building with 2 stories. Todd Noack spit out the window at me once...what a creep.
The Village Variety, either the gray building or the red faced building. We used to go and buy penny candy. I remember when tootsie rolls went from a penny to 5 cents.
Back in the day, it was $.50...I remember going to get my dad RC Cola.
Hoodlums trying to rob the pop machine.
Grocery.

From where I took the picture to the Mountain Dew sign is how far I walked or rode my bike to pick up things for my mom. Way back then, kids could buy cigarettes for their parents. Crazy.
Our house, which was much better maintained when we lived there. I'm sure my dad wouldn't be impressed to see all his hard work ruined. The daughter of the grocer mentioned how mom and dad kept their place up so nice, and mentioned we'd be disgusted when we saw how run down it had gotten, and I was.
My little monkey bean. She plays on the monkey bars constantly at school, just like I did when I was little.
Oh yeah, he made a bow.
Hard to tell, but I'm standing on a cement planter thing that went all the way around the tree, so add in some room from my knees to my feet. We used to spin round and round this tree when we were little. My sister even got poked in the eye once and had to wear a patch, because mom told us not to do that. Anyway...just trying for a size comparison. We saw the grocer from town and he said I "Grew up" :)
Archer was content to hang out in the swing the whole time we were there.
Playing on the zippy thing...and this is an adorable picture of him :)
...as long as someone was pushing him :)
We played a game of "laser tag"
*Me bad. Me Baaaad! (that is my laser gun, getting even with my opponent *see above picture) There was some monkey bar trickery going on after this, but I kindly refrained from posting those pictures for you guys :)
The zippy thing was fun until my hands started to blister.
Little orphan boy in the park.
The mary-go-round I went round and round on as a kid.


This sign is really old...been there as long as my dad can remember. Kids got in trouble for taking the sign and swinging it around the bar. Also, we used to try to ring the bell, but it never rang and usually just hurt your hand. I think we used it as the "goal" a lot, too.
104 Prospect St, Bear Creek, WI 54922
This alley was the thing I was most excited to come back too. It seemed like such a long walk through the alley, but it really isn't.

* I knew that down vest would make me look fat...

8 comments:

Ben, Heather and kids said...

(I don't see anything resembling 'fat' in the picture with the beautiful girl in the alley.) :)

Neat flashbacks. Growing up in alittle town is something I'd want to do, if we couldn't live in the country. it's funny how time changes things.

Sam said...

You are crazy woman! NOTHING resembles "Fat" maybe a PHAT!!!:) You look great! LOVE the pics:) I never knew this about you! I thought you lived in the country your whole life!

Amber said...

I am referring to the picture of me sitting on the monkey bars ;)

Neisha said...

neat pictures. and I don't see fat either!

Heather T said...

wow...a trip down memory lane for sure!:0)

Jeff & Aleigh said...

I love the last picture of you - it's adorable!!

ethel said...

you're not fat at all! enjoy your youth and vitality!!

Elizabeth said...

1. You just made me cry.
2. You are BEAUTIFUL. Holy man.
3. I vaguely remember having a minor rivalry with you regarding the monkey bars when we were little. Misty never cared to tough it out, but you and I were the blistered-hand, stubborn competitors.
4. Who would have thought that old alley would turn out to be such a perfect place for pics? :)
5. Totally bought cigs for my dad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
http://www.linkwithin.com/