8.27.2009

I was doing fine until I folded a tiny swaddle blanket...

I was so ready to get rid of all the baby clothes that were piled in totes and stacked in the basement. I wanted the extra room and it felt good to start clearing out things that we no longer need. I've been anticipating this all summer long and finally we need the money bad enough that I forced myself to buckle down and organize this garage sale. I was just annoyed as I carried tote after tote of baby clothes up the steps. I started sorting through maternity clothes first and barely had a twinge. I even made it through the entire 6-9 month collection fine. The next bin I lifted out of the pile was the teeny tiny newborn sizes. All the bright colors and tiny little things my baby was wearing just yesterday. A few of the special things I remembered picking out with care while I was expecting him got tossed in a keep pile up on the counter. The more tiny things that came out of the bin, the more my heart ached. I got a lump in my throat, but pressed on because truthfully, our home and plates are full. I pulled out a blue and green polka dot swaddle blanket and carefully folded it fighting back the tears that ultimately came anyway. I folded it and set it in the sell pile, knowing theres a cream colored soft fuzzy one that was his absolute favorite. In the end I'm sure I'll be holding on to both, for now at least. I know the cream one is coming and I just can't believe he's grown so fast and all these tiny little clothes will never fit a tiny baby of mine again.

I am ready to move on to the next stage, but this one is a hard one to let go...

**the smell of the Dreft lingering is not helping at all...

9 comments:

Stacy said...

I don't think there's any reason why you can't save a few things. Limit it to 5 things or one bin, whatever works for you. You can always get rid of it later, but I bet you'll be glad you saved a few precious things. (OK I have 6-8 bins yet...)

Ben, Heather and kids said...

oh.. i hear you loud and clear. i sold all our baby things this spring. i had a hard time going thru them. we saved things from each kid (actully HE was worse then me, wanting to save every thing that held a memory). we are settled on our choice to have no more kids, but admitting we have left the baby stage is hard.. and then my SIL has to go and get preg.. making me miss all those baby days all over again. sniff, sniff.. but it's part of life, i must move on!

Tim and Melissa said...

I hear ya girl! I have 3/4 of a rubbermaid full of things saved for each of the girls and probably 10 things saved already for Tyler. Some things are just too hard to let go. I really wish I coulD come look thru your things before your sale...good luck!

Mindy said...

what has helped me is giving the stuff away. if i see someone i know wearing it down the line it makes me so happy. we could use the money too, but the fact is i'm too lazy to try to sell it! sad to know that the little baby phase is over - guess we have to wait for grandkids now. ha!

Matt, Ashley & Alexus said...

I agree with Stacy, it's OK to keep a few things. Matt's mom actually gave me a few of her favorite outfits of Matt's for our kids. Of course they don't wear them, (pictures only) but I will probably do the same for our kids. Even handing down daddys old clothes. Thinking about you! Hopefully we will get to see you this weekend. I want to stop in and go through clothes :)

Sam said...

Thinking about you!!!! I cannot even imagine:( We dont know if we will have another or not but we both agreed to hang onto everything and I probably will for years even if we do decide we are done, It was easy with Cameron's things because I knew we were not done, but knowing that you are and saying goodbye to it all, I feel for you!:( But the next stage will be just as precious as the first as you already know this:) Love you girl, and you are a phenominal mommy;)

Sarah said...

I just went through all of my sons baby clothes (he's 8 by the way...) and I cried like a little girl. I kept some of the things, the stuff that I had sentimental attachment to...and I gave a lot of stuff to a friend who just had a baby. That made it easier to know the person I was giving it to. But really, it was so hard.

Angie said...

Aww, that sounds tough :( I'm going to go pick up my baby and enjoy every precious second!
Good luck on your sale..wish I could stop by!

Heather T said...

*hug*:0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
http://www.linkwithin.com/