11.26.2008

Dedicated to Ana & Olive




The Starfish Saver

As I walked along the seashore, this young boy greeted me.
He was tossing stranded starfish back to the deep blue sea.
I said "Tell me why you bother, why you waste your time this way.
There's a million stranded starfish, does it matter, anyway?"
And he said, "It matters to this one. It deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one. I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one, I'll return it to the sea.
It matters to this one, and it matters to me."
I walked into an orphanage, a young woman greeted me.
She was adopting a little girl, She was excited, I could see.
I said, "Tell me why you bother, why do you waste your time this way.
She's only one of thousands, does it matter anyway?"
And she said, "It matters to this one. She deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one. I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one, I'll help her be what she can be.
It matters to this one, and it matters to me."
A big shout out to Nate & Marsha for giving Ana & Olive a chance, and to all the other adoptive families who have made it matter. We miss you guys and can't wait to see you at Christmas. Hug the girls for us!

2 comments:

Jeff & Aleigh said...

I have loved this poem for years. I can't show enough gratitude to those who adopt and give kids a chance. I would do it in a heartbeat if I could!

shaunandhelen said...

What a great post-- we're hoping soon for a niece or nephew via adoption.
Here's my hair lovey tutorial- I laid the hair out kind of flat between two pieces of fabric and used a zig-zag stitch to go across it a lot of times. Then I rolled it up and used a rubberband to hold it rolled. Looks like the end of a pony tail. They I just attached it to the stuffed animal with another hair tie. I like it removable so I can wash it. HTH You can email us at shaunandhelen@yahoo.com if you want me to take up close pictures of it. It isn't a pretty sew job and when I 1st did it I was hoping he would transfer his affection to the dog but alas that did NOT happen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
http://www.linkwithin.com/