12.18.2007

Wanted: pregnant people...

Tonight, Wendy will be with us for supper. Just getting the sheets washed and ready to go! I just wanted to do a quick post about a new adventure i am embarking upon...
I have decided to (finally) get my birth doula certification! For those of you who don't know what a doula is (greek: a women who serves), it is a person (not a friend or loved one) who provides support to the mother during labor. I had a doula with Trae, and it was a great experience. I will do my training in Madison April 4-6, and beforehand I have to attend a childbirth class, a breastfeeding class, and read 8-9 books on childbirth and the role of doulas. Then I have to attend 3 births after the training, and write a essay. I have 2 years to complete the certification, but I am hoping to complete it in less than a year. If you know anyone who is due after April 6 that would like a doula to attend, please have them call me...920-538-3708...I would love to help them out, free of course. My friend Sam is due to give birth in January, and I plan to be there with her and her husband Mike... they will be welcoming baby Carter! I am so excited for the oppurtunity to be there. I've never actually seen a live birth, aside from giving it, and I didn't exactly have front row seats:) I think it's such a miracle...eventually, I want to start a program for single mothers who don't have any support and help them at no cost, as I can't ever imagine what childbirth would be like without anyone there to support you. I am glad to finally be doing this, along with the photography, and soon i'll be watching my new neice or nephew....which means NO MORE GROUP HOME!!!

3 comments:

Matt, Ashley & Alexus said...

That is WONDERFUL Amber. I have given that some thought after I met a doula a couple months ago. Her and I talked for hours. But now I would like to get settled in the new house before I embark on anything else. Could you possibly send me the information for the classes in Madison?
There is nothing like being at a birth. It is amazing. I got to be there when my niece and nephew were born, there is just no other word to describe it other than beautiful! I'm sure for you January can't come soon enough now!

Amber said...

www.doulaworkshop.com
www.DONA.com
If you decide to go let me know, we could go together!

Aleigh said...

I have also thought about this, but I've never actually given birth or witnessed one....I just think it would be amazing...there's no other precious miracle than the birth of a baby!! I think this is wonderful!! :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
http://www.linkwithin.com/